Lost passport & travel document cover

Lost your passport overseas? Here’s how Travel with Kit covers the costs of recovering your passport,  visa and important travel document when you need them most.

Losing your passport can turn your dream adventures into an admin nightmare. Ditto for having your visa stolen. In short, if you’re stuck without a passport it’s safe to say you need an urgent lifeline.

While these things can – and do – happen, breathe easy knowing that Travel with Kit offers a stack of benefits that take care of missing passports and travel documents while overseas.

Here’s how travel insurance covers lost passports

Passports and visas taken off without you? If your travel documents, that were carried with you, are stolen or fraudulently used by someone other than you, your relative or travelling companion while on your trip, Travel with Kit will pay you some of the costs you have to pay to replace them,  or costs resulting from their fraudulent use, up to the applicable limit.

A maximum payout of $2,500 is available on Basic while on Comprehensive it’s $6,000. The Travel Documents benefit is not available on Basic and Domestic cover levels.


  • Losing your passport on holiday is the last thing you want. Your Travel with Kit insurance policy will cover you in most instances, but to be super prepared, you need to know about certain conditions and exclusions.
  • If you have not reported the theft of your passport or other important travel documents within 24 hours to the police, you won’t be covered.
  • Very specific and strict conditions apply. Not all rules and exclusions have been listed here. Please see the Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Wording for full details.

If your passport is lost or stolen, you must tell the Australian Government as soon as possible.

  • Contact your nearest Australian embassy or consulate, or phone the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra on +61 2 6261 3305.
  • Report it to the local police to file a police report  – keep a copy
  • Contact  Travel with Kit. Your travel insurance policy may cover the costs of getting a replacement passport.

If you are overseas and can’t wait for a replacement passport, you may be able to apply for an emergency passport.

Emergency passport

You may be able to get an emergency passport. Contact the nearest Australian embassy or consulate for advice.

Emergency passports:

  • are typically valid for 7 months
  • have only 12 pages
  • don’t have a chip (not an ePassport)
  • are normally produced within 2 business days 

Be advised that there are countries that don’t allow a traveller to enter on an emergency passports. In addition, as emergency passports don’t have a chip, some countries that Australians can normally enter visa-free will require you to get a visa. An embassy or consulate of the country you are visiting may need to place the visa physically onto a visa page in your passport. Ask the embassy or consulate of the country you are visiting if they accept emergency passports and whether you need a visa.

Compare our Travel Documents benefit across 3 levels of cover

It’s easy to choose the right level of cover when you compare how each one takes care of specific benefits. Travel with Kit offers 4 travel insurance plans to suit every Australian. Compare our travel insurance levels to find the right cover for you.

Understand your cover

Conditions and exclusions apply to every cover level and optional pack. View our Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide for full details. Sub-limits apply. Not sure? Our friendly team are here to help. Get in touch