Tips to help your claim

Emergency and medical claims

For medical, hospital or dental claims you’ll need to have called us as soon as possible, and you’ll need original medical accounts and receipts.

Theft or loss claims

For claims related to loss or theft of your bags, phone, laptop or personal items, you’ll need to have reported the incident to the police or relevant authority immediately after discovering the loss. You’ll also need to obtain a written notice of your report and show proof of ownership for the items lost.

Cancelled trips claims

For claims due to a trip cancellation you’ll need to provide us with documents like your original booking invoice and receipts, a trip cancellation invoice, written confirmation from your airline or travel agent, and unused travel tickets and

Policy number

Always keep your policy number handy when you travel. It will help us to help you faster if you need to call. Your policy number is especially useful if you or someone on your behalf calls us about a medical emergency.

Receipts, police reports and other official reports

Keep a copy of a written report or statement as you’ll need this when making your claim. Keep receipts for expenses and lost or stolen goods.

Be quick

Claim as soon as you get home to Australia. The sooner you claim the better.

Understand your cover

Conditions and exclusions apply to every cover level and optional pack. View our Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide for full details. Sub-limits apply. Not sure? Our friendly team are here to help. Get in touch