Regular travel insurance is a little scared of the water, so take out extra cruise cover any time you’re spending more than two nights on a sea or river cruise.
Extra cover for more than two nights out at sea
If you intend to go on a river, sea or ocean cruise for two or more nights, outside of Australian waters, then you must purchase a Cruise Pack, otherwise you will not have cover under your policy. The Cruise Pack covers onboard emergency medical treatment and evacuations, cruise delay, missed port costs, pre-paid shore excursion cancellation, missed cruise departure, lost or stolen baggage, cabin confinement, lost or delayed formal cruise attire and marine rescue diversion.
Please note: Cruise means a journey on a boat or ship on which travel is taken as a paying passenger for pleasure or as a holiday, for a minimum of three nights in duration.
The Cruise pack must be purchased before you leave home for your cruise. This includes any flights or transportation required to get to your departing port.
This pack can not be added to a Domestic policy.
This cover is not available should the incident take place whilst in Australian waters. (e.g. on departure or arrival)
You must be under the age of 75 at the date your Certificate of Insurance is issued.
KEEP IN MIND
- You are not required to purchase a Cruise Pack if you are taking an inland river cruise or a cruise with one overnight stay;
- for this additional option, cancellation expenses means the reasonable prepaid, non-refundable and unused portion of public transport, accommodation, cruise activities and day excursions, entertainment tickets, training or conference costs including a travel agent’s cancellation fee.
- Where frequent-flyer points or similar rewards points have been used and the loss of such points cannot be recovered from any other source, the retail cost at time of booking will be used as the cost.
- Cover provided by the Cruise pack is subject to the general exclusions shown at What we don’t cover at all on page 60 of the Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Wording. However we will not apply general exclusion relating to cruises to your policy.
Onboard medical treatment and evacuation for emergency medical assistance
If while on your cruise, you suffer a sudden illness or serious injury then Travel with Kit will pay the reasonable medical expenses for:
- your onboard emergency hospitalisation
- your medical transfer or evacuation (including by helicopter) if you must be transported to the nearest hospital for emergency medical treatment overseas, with appropriate medical supervision.
- your medical transfer or evacuation (including by helicopter) if you must be brought back to Australia, with appropriate medical supervision.
This benefit payout is unlimited, provided medical costs are associated with an emergency only.
If your cruise is temporarily delayed for six hours or longer due to an unforeseeable circumstance outside your control then we will reimburse you up to $2,000 per policy for additional accommodation expenses. This benefit is for the cost of the room only.
We will also reimburse up to the limit shown for each full 24 hour period that the delay continues beyond the initial six-hour delay.
KEEP IN MIND
- You must claim from the cruise provider first and provide us with written confirmation from the cruise provider of the cause and period of the delay and the amount of compensation offered by them.
- You must also provide us with receipts for the additional accommodation (room rate only) expenses incurred.
Missing a port stop means missing the chance to check out an exciting place on your cruise itinerary. To ease the disappointment, if your cruise does not port at certain docks during your trip due to adverse weather restrictions or mechanical break-down, we will pay you up to $1,000 per policy.
Pre-paid shore excursion due to confinement
If you cannot participate in your pre-paid shore excursion(s) due to cabin confinement or in the cruise vessel’s medical centre as a result of circumstances outside your control, then we will pay your cancellation fees and lost deposits up to $1,000 per policy.
Missed cruise departure
Missed the scheduled departure of your pre-booked cruise due to an accident involving your means of transport, or the cancellation, delay or diversion of your scheduled transport, or a natural disaster?
Travel with Kit will pay up to $2,000 per policy for your reasonable and necessary additional travelling expenses incurred after you leave your home address in Australia, that are over and above what you had originally budgeted to pay and are needed to continue with your original itinerary.
KEEP IN MIND
- We will only pay you the reasonable additional expenses less the amount you would have ordinarily paid had the event not occurred, less any refunds owed to you.
- We will only pay those expenses that you cannot claim from someone else – like a transport providers, and where you have not been offered alternatives.
- Any additional airfare incurred will be at a class of our discretion.
- You must get written confirmation from the appropriate authority stating the full details of the incident, including the cause and period of disruption.
- You must claim from the transport company first, and provide us with written confirmation of any refunds or rescheduling offered to you.
- You must keep all receipts for the extra expenses you pay.
- You may be also entitled to claim additional meals and accommodation expenses under appropriate benefit(s) like the Cancellation benefits offered on Basic and Comprehensive cover.
Baggage lost,stolen or damaged
If your baggage is lost, stolen or damaged prior to you boarding or while on your cruise then Travel with Kit will pay you up to $3,000 per policy.
KEEP IN MIND
- This cover commences a maximum of 72 hours prior to your cruise’s first scheduled departure, as stated on your itinerary.
- Note: Got a Basic or Comprehensive policy? You may be entitled to claim under Benefit 10. Theft or damage to baggage and personal items if your baggage, including glasses and sunglasses is lost, stolen or damaged, but you may not claim under both benefits, for the same event.
- Payment will be based on the value of the property at the time it was lost, stolen or damaged. An allowance will be made for wear, tear and loss of value depending on the age of the property.
- We will not pay any claim relating to a mobile phone or device with phone capabilities if you are unable to supply the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity). You are also required to block the IMEI number (by Australian telecommunication providers) of the stolen or lost mobile phone or device.
- The maximum amount we will pay for any one item, pair or set of items that has not been specified is is shown in the Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Wording.
- The maximum amount we will pay for valuables in total that have not been specified is up to $3,000.
- It is your responsibility to provide proof of ownership of any lost, stolen or damaged items and we are under no obligation to make payment without this proof of ownership.
If you suffer sudden illness or serious injury while on your cruise and as a result you are confined to bed in your cabin or the cruise vessel’s medical centre for a continuous period of more than 48 hours, then Travel with Kit will pay you $50 for each day in excess of 48 hours that you continue to be confined, up to $1,000 in total.
Formal cruise attire lost, stolen or damaged
If during your cruise, your formal wear is stolen, accidentally damaged or is permanently lost then Travel with Kit will pay the lesser of:
- the repair cost
- the replacement cost
- the amount it would cost us to repair or replace the item(s) allowing for any trade discounts we are entitled to
- the cost of repairing or replacing the lost or damaged part of a pair, set or collection; or
- the original purchase price.
The total we’ll pay is $500
KEEP IN MIND
- We have the option to repair or replace the formal wear instead of paying you.
- A pair or set of items, for example (but not limited to), shoes, gloves, suit are considered as only one item and the appropriate benefit limit will be applied.
- We will not pay a claim in relation to your formal wear if you do not report the loss, theft or misplacement within 24 hours to the police or an office of the carrier you were travelling on when the loss, theft or misplacement occurred.
Formal cruise attire delayed
If your formal wear is delayed, misdirected or misplaced while on the outward portion of your trip for over 12 hours from the time you boarded the cruise vessel, and it is necessary to purchase or hire replacement formal wear then Travel with Kit will reimburse your reasonable expenses up to $750.
KEEP IN MIND
We will not pay if you are entitled to compensation from the bus line, air line, shipping line or rail authority you were travelling on for the relevant event claimed. If you are not reimbursed the full amount, however, we will pay the difference between the amount of your expenses and what you were reimbursed.
Marine rescue diversion
If your cruise vessel is diverted to assist in a marine rescue then Travel with Kit will reimburse you up to $500 per policy. You will need to provide evidence of the rescue from the cruise provider.
Keep in mind
You will need to provide evidence of the rescue from the cruise provider.
What does the Cruise Pack cover?
- Onboard medical treatment and helicopter evacuation for emergency medical assistance
- $2,000 cruise delay per policy
- $1,000 missed port per policy
- $1,000 pre-paid shore excursion per policy
$2,000 missed cruise departure per policy
$3,000 baggage lost or stolen before boarding per policy
$50 per day, $1,000 in total cabin confinement per policy
$500 formal cruise attire lost, stolen or damaged, per policy
$750 formal cruise attire delayed per policy
- $500 marine rescue diversion per policy